Friday, May 21, 2010

Race for the Cure-5k Marathon....

On May 8th, 2010, Mother's Day weekend, I ran my first 5k. It was the Susan G. Komen-Race for the Cure. I had been wanting to run one. I am not sure what made me decide to start running, but all the sudden I decided I wanted to do a marathon, and running became something I really enjoy. I have never been a runner, but when I started running outside I was able to run the full 3.2 miles without stopping. I was quite proud of myself. Of course the first time was a lot harder, but I did it.
I ran this, well okay I walked, this same marathon 4 years ago with my sister Lennette and knew it would be coming up again in May. So I looked it up online and then told a few of my friends about it. I was SO glad that I was able to talk two of my best friends into running it with me. It ended up working out great because Robyn's sister came and ran also. Robyn is not a runner so she was a little nervous about the whole thing, but her sister ran with her and Melissa and I ran it together. We run at the exact same pace. She was the BEST running partner ever and I had a blast. We all had a blast...and it was a great excuse to get together and see each other. I think that is one of the reasons I really miss living in SLC is my friends and family that live there.
Come to find out my little niece Savanah was also running the marathon with some of her friends from MACS Cheer. We decided to drive to Lennette & Sam's Friday night and hang out with the family and BBQ. We love getting to come and see them and spend time with them. Its always a good time.
We all had the BEST support team ever. My sweet husband Brett, Rylee, & Dax were there and my sister-in-law Lenny too. They were cheering us into the finish line. It was amazing how many people were there. I got a picture of some of the crowd, but it was only a tiny fraction of what was there. 
I have to say I was VERY proud of me and Melissa's time. We ran the 5k in 29 minutes, and considering the thousands of people there and the slow jogging start we got, that is really amazing. Robyn and her sister ran it in about 50 minutes and Savanah came in at about 60 minutes.
It felt great running for such a great cause...Breast Cancer Awareness! Running on Mother's Day weekend and seeing all those people there in memory of their mom, grandma, sister, or friend really made me sad for them. But it was also great seeing that they were still supporting the cause, and there were a lot of people running in celebration of someone that fought breast cancer and survived.
Here are some pictures of my support team, along with Melissa, Robyn, Savanah, and I....I LOVE these girls!!!









1 comment:

  1. Good job on your run you did awesome! I love running too and I think it makes it easier to run when its for fun and a good cause when I ran the make a wish foundation it felt so good to be running with all of those people and to know your helping even if it was just a little its a great feeling.. GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete